Thursday, April 19, 2007

Uberman's Sleep Schedule

For those of you that do not know what Uberman's sleep schedule is I advise that you go look it up on Google or Wikipedia or just continue reading this post.
This is how the sleep schedule works. You take 20-30 minuet nap every four hours. Lets say that you chose to take your naps at 12, 4, and 8, the nice thing is that no matter what times you choose the time are the same regardless of am or pm. Obviously to stay on this schedule you need to be able to either adjust your daily schedule or take care in choosing nap times. Also at first it is going to be difficult to adjust from the normal mode of sleeping, where you get all your sleep at one time. Some sources claim that it takes about a week to get adjusted and even then you still need a lot of self discipline to remain on schedule. According to "Steve Pavlina" this purpose of this schedule is to help the user enter what is known as R.E.M. sleep faster.
After reading more about this from various sites and my friend's personal account of trying it, I have decided that I would like to try it. Unfortunately I will not be able to start this intense task until I am done with finals because right now I do not have a week to "waste" while getting adjusted to the new sleep pattern. As things are now I plan to start the week between finals and the start of summer classes. Hopefully I can find a job where I will be able to fit my naps in during my lunch hour. The only foreseeable to actually doing this is going to be convincing my mother that I will be "perfectly fine". Once I get past that staying awake is going to be a pain since I do not have anyone else who is willing to do it with me as of right now. Hopefully once I start I will not miss any of the naps because that will really fuck things up as you can imagine.
Wish me luck and if you are interested in doing this with me and will be in Gainesville over the summer feel free to let me know. I know that doing this while studying for the first Actuary exam isn't the smartest thing ever but the exam isn't till August so by June I should realize if this is for me or not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

After reading an article or two about this sleep schedule, I recognize polyphasic sleep as what naturally occurs in the stage of life otherwise known as "parenthood."

It's quite a shock to the system to go from nine hours of continuous sleep to the punctuated sleep that revolves around the needs of a hungry (colicky or sick) infant.

cmichener said...

How did the experiment go? In case anyone is interested, I'll be blogging my experiences with Uberman at http://cmichener.blogspot.com when I start sleeping polyphasically on December 20.