Thursday, March 27, 2008

Codes

Well this semester is almost over, and I could not be any happier about it. Classes are starting to get on my nerves. Really it is just the non-math classes but this general feeling of resentment is being carried over to the math classes and that is never a good thing. Economics should have been interesting but it turns out that he spends a semester teaching you how to do basic optimization problems. By basic I mean only require calculus 1 and there are no round off errors. French is being as some would say, "French". It isn't so much the class in this case as much as it is the having a test every other week or just about. By the end of the semester you are just burnt out and would rather get a 50 on a test than look at another word of French.

Registration for the next semester is coming up soon for me, I think my registration date is either the 30th or the 31st. In any case I still have to narrow down my class choices. Right now the only classes that I know I will be taking for sure are; Modern Analysis 1 (a first year graduate class) and an Advanced Programming Fundamentals for CIS Majors, which is an introduction to computer science for students with prior programming experience. As for my other classes I am still torn between Introductory Numerical Analysis and Numerical Linear Algebra (another first year graduate class). Regardless of which class I take in the fall, I will be taking Numerical Analysis (the graduate level) in the spring, so chances are I will be taking the Into. Numerical Analysis. Finally there is a Fourier Series and Transforms class being offered which I would really like to take, but after talking to an adviser, I was informed that the class might be canceled if not enough students register.

Things have gotten to the point that in my copious spare time I decide to work on SPOJ problems. The problem that I have just recently completed after about a week is BITMAP, for those of you that are interested. My initial approach was to solve this problem with dynamic programming which seems reasonable. However, it was a few days ago that I learned about what I think is called a "breath first" search. I am not sure if this method is actually faster than the dynamic programming idea I had but it is definitely easier to program for this particular problem. I suppose that actually having a class in C++ would have it's benefits, mainly in that I would get a better idea of how particular ideas can be used to solve problems. For instance, before I knew about queues but they never seemed useful since it appeared that anything they could do, vectors could do better (I am sure you could create a vector that acts like a queue but it would require unnecessary amounts of code). This is the main reason I am taking the
Advanced Programming Fundamentals class.

Right about now I should be getting back to finishing my take home Abstract Algebra test, which is due tomorrow around 12:30.

No comments: