Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Linux in my Windows

A few days ago I tried to dual boot Windows XP and Ubuntu (a Linux distribution). At first I was just booting Ubuntu from the boot CD I had created, and things were running smoothly. Eventually the time came where I decided that I wanted to boot Ubuntu from the hard drive and not the CD. Well I started the process and things were running smoothly, me hitting next and Ubuntu doing what it does best (rocking). So I come to the end of the installation and when I restart my computer I realized that I had not partitioned my drive so that it would run BOTH XP and Ubuntu, but instead I had installed Ubuntu on the whole drive, which means no more Windows XP. This wasn't all that bad since I was planning on replacing XP eventually in any case. However, problems arose once I realized that I was not being able to connect to the campus internet (they have some new long and stupid process which I believe is out to get Linux users). Thus for the weekend I didn't have internet, I did however, have a lot of fun games that came with Ubuntu so I was entertained.
Yesterday I managed to get a copy of an XP boot and installation disk. So right now I am in the process of reinstalling all the applications I will need and all of my other hardware to work with XP again. So I have been frantically downloading things left and right.
Things I still need to get include;
a C++ compiler, Adobe Reader, WinTV, a few Firefox add-ons, and other minor things like anti-virus software.
In any case I shall be reattempting to dual boot XP and Ubuntu in a few days, wish me luck.

No comments: