Saturday, April 05, 2008

Finals and Work

Well the semester is winding down, I only have a few more test and then I'm "free". Now that I think about it I have quite a few test to take actually. Two in Abstract Algebra, either one or two in Advanced Calculus 2, two in Managerial Economics, and one in French. None of these should be particularly difficult, but some count more than others so I will actually have to study.

Right now I am really looking forward to my REU. I still have to book a flight but that shouldn't be a bit issue. Earlier today I received an email from the coordinator informing us about who was going to be in our groups as well as how we were to sign up for housing (which is provided free of charge). Interestingly there will also be other undergraduates participating in research in other natural science areas. If I am correct I believe that the email said that there would be somewhere around 200 undergraduates, and only 15 of us will be working directly with the mathematics department. Apparently we will be getting pain $800 minus taxes every fortnight.
While on the topic of money I think it is appropriate to mention that I might be teaching the discussion section for a Precalculus class next fall. I found this out on Friday after my Advanced Calculus 2 class. The professor talked to me and another sophomore, he wanted to know if we would be around next fall since the department was looking for more TAs to help teach discussion sections. He said that he would refer us to the person in charge in order to set up our interviews, which are just a formality according to him. It was mentioned that we would be getting paid but nothing much was said about this topic, and I'm fine with that.

It's been a while since I've done this, but here is a video to accompany this post.


1 comment:

Ann said...

oh, gotta love America and Texans supporting Bush.
my favorite was: "how many sides are on a triangle?"